We are delighted to host a trip to four great locations in the Niagara area this June. Click here for a 1-page printable flyer.
Palatine Rose and Fruit Nursery
Palatine is the leading bare-root rose supplier in Ontario, and the source for our horticultural society's Garden Sunshine roses. Palatine pursues organic methods whenever practical, using pheromones, as well as Neem Oil, essential oils, and other organic sprays. They enrich their soil with high calcium applications, minimal commercial fertilizer, manure, green manure, cover crops, as well as foliar sprays. Our host, proprietor Rene Schmitz, will give us a short presentation about his rose treatments.
Located on a 150-acre property, Southbrook was the first vineyard in Canada to earn both organic and biodynamic certifications. As we sample three of Southbrook's wines and stroll this unusual vineyard, proprietor Bill Redelmeier will speak to us about the use of animals and specially prepared composts to grow low-impact, vibrant crops. Environmental quality is key for Southbrook. Their Merlot is award-winning and we will have the opportunity to purchase this, as well as many other popular wines, wine jellies and mustards.
Ticket includes lunch on the covered terrace at Southbrook, catered by Bench Kitchen, the premier sandwich shop in Grimsby. Lunch options are selected during the ticket purchase process from the following menu:
- Turkey Breast - Smoked tomato chutney, roasted garlic aioli, baby arugula
- Ham and Swiss - Arugula walnut peso and roasted garlic aioli
- Herbed Roast Beef - House mustard, sweet onion jam, mixed greens
- Maple Mustard Chicken Breast - Cheddar cheese, roasted garlic aioli, leaf lettuce
- Smoked Beet and Goat Cheese - Arugula walnut pesto, baby arugula
- Chickpea Smash - Dill, cucumber, carrot and tahini
- Egg Salad - Grainy mustard aioli, green onion, greens
- Potato and Olive Oil Sourdough
- Multiseed Sourdough
- Herbed Focaccia
- No bread - sandwich filling on bed of greens
- Quinoa Salad - Lemon honey vinaigrette, baby greens, seasonal vegetables
- Featured Salad - Chickpeas, smoked paprika vinaigrette, roasted vegetables, green onion and cilantro
- Mixed Green Salad with lemon honey vinaigrette, carrot, cucumber, tomato
- Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Carrot Loaf - slice of
Vineland Nurseries, owned by Jim and Simone Lounsbery, is a retailer of dwarf and unusual evergreens, Japanese Maples, Rhododendrons, Bamboos, and other rare and unusual plants. Remember Gardening Life magazine? It listed them as one of the top 40 specialty nurseries. If you are looking for a horticultural ‘eye-popper’, (debit and cash only) this is the place where you may find it! Jim is also an Instructor at Mohawk College in Horticulture for the Continuing Education Program. With his background as a speaker and lecturer, we are sure that he will be able to answer all your queries.
The Watering Can Flower Market
This popular haven for tropical plant aficionados carries a well-curated variety of tropicals (small to tree-sized), annuals, a charming array of garden art and imaginative displays of succulents. Hungry? The cafe offers artistic, mouth-watering treats.
$79 each for society members and their guests
$89 for non-society members
Ticket price includes motor coach transportation; venues as outlined above; lunch; all taxes and tips.
Our motor coach departs at 8:00 a.m. from the Elgin West Community Centre at 11099 Bathurst Street in Richmond Hill, with an approximate return time of 6:00 p.m.
Participation is not confirmed until payment is received.
Payment is non-refundable unless the bus trip is cancelled by The Richmond Hill Garden & Horticultural Society.
Covid-19 Safety Precaution: A quality mask must be worn at all times while on the bus.
A signed Bus Waiver form must be provided to board the bus.